US President Donald Trump and his White House challenger Joe Biden are fighting over plans for their last TV debate.
The Republican president’s mission blamed coordinators for Thursday’s showdown of helping the Democrat by leaving out foreign policy as a topic.
The Biden camp shot back that Mr. Trump was trying to avoid questions about his response to the COVID pandemic.
With two weeks to go until the election, Mr. Biden has a commanding lead nationally in opinion of public sentiment.
However, he has a smaller lead in the handful of key US states that will ultimately decide the end result.
What Did The Trump Campaign Say?
On Monday, the president’s camp sent a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates calling for topics to be changed for the last primetime duel this Thursday.
Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien said in the letter that the campaigns had already agreed foreign policy would be the focus of the third debate.
The topics were announced by a moderator and NBC News correspondent Kristen Welker last week: American families, race in America, climate change, national security, and leadership.
During a campaign rally on Monday afternoon in Prescott, Arizona, Mr. Trump described Ms. Welker as a “radical Democrat” and said she would be “no good”.
Mr. Stepien accused Mr. Biden of being “desperate to avoid conversations about his own foreign policy record” and the commission of trying to “insulate Biden from his own history”.
“The Commission’s pro-Biden antics have turned the entire debate season into a fiasco and it is little wonder why the public has lost faith in its objectivity,” he wrote.
He also accused Mr. Biden of trying to avoid questions over reports about purported emails from his child, Hunter, and alleged conflicts of interest.
How Did The Biden Campaign React?
The Democrat’s camp hit back that it was really Mr. Trump who was trying to duck questions.
“The campaigns and the Commission agreed months prior that the debate moderator would pick the topics,” said national press secretary TJ Ducklo.
“The Trump campaign is lying about that now because Donald Trump is afraid to confront more questions about his disastrous COVID response.
“Obviously, the president is more concerned with the rules of a debate than he is getting a country in crisis the help it needs.”
Read also: US Political Race 2020: Trump Back On Campaign Trail In Florida
What Happened With The Last Two Debates?
The Trump campaign chief noted on Monday that the moderator of the canceled second debate on 15 October, Steve Scully, had been suspended after tweeting to a prominent Trump critic, then lying that his account had been hacked.
Mr. Stepien also accused the moderator of the first debate, Fox News’ Chris Wallace, of having acted as “a third combatant” against Mr. Trump.
The first Trump-Biden duel on 29 September descended into an exchange of insults, with the president interrupting many more times than his challenger, according to post-debate statistics from US media outlets.
The second debate was canceled after Mr. Trump refused to take part. The commission had ruled it would have to take place with the candidates in various areas because the president had tested positive for coronavirus.
Mr. Trump dismissed the idea as a waste of time. He contracted coronavirus at the beginning of October but says he has since fully recovered.
This news is originally posted on BBC